Childrens Respite Services
Brothers of Charity Clare – Children’s Respite Service provides short breaks to families by way of:
– Centre based respite
– HomeShare Clare (Click to go to page)
Centre based respite
Hazelwood House is a residential respite centre for children and adolescents with disability. Day supports and overnight breaks are facilitated. We aim to provide a positive and flexible service for children/young people with intellectual disability, in a supportive caring environment, which promotes health and wellbeing.
Who can access services?
Eligibility criteria for admission to Hazelwood House include the following:
- Children/young people aged between 5 and 18 years old, who have an intellectual disability and are resident in Co. Clare.
- 5-11 years – day supports *
- 12-18 years – day and overnight supports
- The child/family is resident in Co. Clare.
* Note: Overnight respite for children aged 5 to 11 years may be considered where ‘out of home’ overnight respite is indicated by our assessment process. These referrals will be dealt with on a case by case basis in consultation with HSE Children’s Disability Services.
We are unable to facilitate children/young people whose medical condition requires constant nursing care.
How do I access services?
Referrals for respite services can be made directly to our service by parents/guardians, by phone, in writing or in person. Referrals can also be made by HSE disability services. Contact details listed below
- On contact with our service, a referral form will be forwarded to the referrer for completion and return. All referrals will be assessed for eligibility and acknowledged in writing to the referrer within 5 working days.
- Where a referral is found to be eligible for receipt of our service, a comprehensive assessment of family support needs will be undertaken by the Co-ordinator of the Service. This assessment ordinarily begins with a home visit which will be arranged within 4-6weeks of receipt of the completed referral form
- In the event that a referral is not eligible for admission, the referrer will be notified and reasons for non-eligibility will be explained. In such circumstances the referral may be brought to the Interagency Respite Forum, with the parent/guardians consent, for identification of other respite service that may be able to provide supports.
For further details of our service please contact our Service Co-ordinator or staff at Hazelwood House – detailed below.
For details on the full array of Disability Services offered by HSE in Co. Clare contact
HSE Clare Early Intervention and School Age Disability Services
- Children’s Service Co-Coordinator, [Tuesday, Wed & Thursday]
Tel: (065) 684 9400
- Hazelwood House, [Wednesdays Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday]
Tel. No. (065) 6868177
We do our best to provide services of the highest standards. However, there may be times when you feel that things have not gone as you would have wished. Equally, we would like to know when we are getting it right! You may wish to make a suggestion about how things may be improved, or pay a complement to our staff if you have appreciated their efforts, we would like to hear from you.